Teacher puts out fire

    Juneau, Alaska (KINY) A pan of oil was accidentally left on the stove in the Life Skills classroom at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School.

    Capital City Fire Rescue said teacher Jessie Kovach knew exactly what to do and that proper fire training helped prevent a larger fire and possible injury.

    Kovach was preparing for her next class when she heard a popping sound and saw a wall of flame on the stove top in one of the kitchens.  The burner was left on and the oil has reached the temperature where it started a fire.

    Kovach was able to grab a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

    The Fire Marshall said this fire could have been much worse not only in damage but it could have resulted in someone getting hurt. Fortunately, Ms. Kovach did not have any students nearby and was able to remember how to use a fire extinguisher. Further investigation revealed that the reason the heat did not activate the sprinkler system is because there was a large overhead tabletop demo mirror that blocked the heat from reaching a sprinkler head and deflected the smoke from the direction of the smoke detector.

    Marshals went on to state that for her quick action, Ms. Kovach is proof that training pays off. This was the first she had ever used a fire extinguisher for a real incident and was grateful that things worked out.

    CCFR would like to remind everyone to take 30 seconds and take a look at a portable fire extinguisher label to see the simple steps to use one. If there is a need for additional training, we can help facilitate that as well.

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price