Smoke causes disruption at Marie Drake School

    Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - Capital City Fire Rescue said some early morning smoke was caused by a failed light fixture in a classroom.

    Crews responded to the school at 1415 Glacier Avenue at 7:50 AM this morning, Fire Marshal Dan Jager said.

    He said school staff reported light haze and smoke in the hallway and that someone had pulled the fire alarm in the building to start the evacuation process.

    There were several students from the Montessori Borealis program in the building at the time.

    Jager said the students had just practiced a fire drill on Thursday.

    Jager said very minimal damage was reported.  He said the smoke got into the school ventilation system and that made it difficult to find the source of the smoke.

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price