House fire caused by electrical problem

    Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - Capital City Fire Rescue has released more details about a structure fire Sunday morning that left a Glacier Avenue home extensively damaged.

    Fire crews said the fire was caused either due to overloaded electrical circuits or due to the failure of an appliance.

    Crews were on the scene for about three hours early Sunday putting out all the flames and embers inside the home.

    No one was injured in the blaze in the 1600 block of Glacier Avenue.

    Firemen praised a smoke alarm for waking up the family and helping them to survive the fire.

    The fire originated on the first floor beneath the main stairway which happens to be the primary exit.

    The estimate of property damage was $100,000.

    CCFR said something might be learned from this blaze.  They urge residents to use caution when using multi-plug adapters.

    Officials said residents should learn the total number of watts being drawn by appliances that are plugged into two plug receptacles.

    If the watts are more than the circuit can accommodate then breaker switches may trip of there may be a failure in an appliance or its wiring.

     

     

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price