Homemade heating device determined to be cause of parking lot car fire

    Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - The Fire Marshal’s Office in Juneau has closed an investigation case into February's vehicle fire at the Donnas parking lot.

    The fire occurred on the evening of February 24th.

    The investigation revealed that the 2003 Chevrolet Blazer that caught fire had a single occupant inside of the vehicle that was using a homemade heating device to stay warm.

    According to capital city fire and rescue, the occupant fell asleep in the back seat and awoke to find the burning flammable liquid had leaked out of the device that was setting in top of the center console.

    The occupant was unable to extinguish the fire and in the process of moving, the device had dropped burning flammable liquid onto the seats and other personal items.

    The fire quickly spread.

    The occupant was able to escape the vehicle and retrieve some of their personal belongings before the vehicle became engulfed with flames.

    There were no injuries and the vehicle was a total loss estimated at approximately $2,000.

    More from News of the North

    Comments

    Add a comment

    Log in to the club to add your comment.

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price