Governor's 30-day COVID-19 disaster extension starts Monday

    Gov. Mike Dunleavy on Thursday of last week.

    Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - The governor's 30-day extension to the state's disaster declaration over COVID-19 starts Monday.

    Gov. Mike Dunleavy urged Alaskans to take immediate action to combat the virus as the state remains in the red zone, indicating 101 or more new cases per 100,000 population.

    Most Alaskans received a State of Alaska emergency SMS text message last Thursday that stated COVID-19 cases have escalated and calling on them to work together to reduce infections over the next three weeks.

    "My job as governor is not to tell you how to live your life," the governor said. "My job is to ensure the security and safety of Alaska. I can't do that without your help."

    He asked Alaskans to take further precautions for the next three weeks.

    All state employees will now work from home wherever feasible. Face masks and social distancing are now mandatory at state work sites for all workers and visitors.

    He said any business, organization, or local government is urged to send employees home if they can work remotely.

    Businesses and organizations that can offer food and supplies online with curbside pickup are urged to do so.

    Gov. Dunleavy said with a vaccine around the corner that the end of this fight is in sight.

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price