Update: Fatal fire in Fairbanks claims one life

    Fairbanks, Alaska (KINY) - On Friday, Mar. 24, at 11:07 a.m., Fairbanks Emergency Communication Center received an emergency call reporting a structure fire in the 300 block of Bonnifield Street.

    Update 03/29/2023:

    The victim was identified as 72-year-old Michael Stanton.

    Stanton's body was sent to the State of Alaska Medical Examiner’s Office for autopsy.

    The Fairbanks Fire Department extends its deepest sympathies to the friends and family of Mr. Stanton.

    No foul play is suspected with this fire.

    No other injuries were reported related to this fire.

    Mutual aid was provided by the University Fire Department and Fort Wainwright Fire Department.

    The fire remains under investigation by the Fairbanks Fire Department acting Deputy Fire Marshal with the assistance of the University Fire Department’s Fire Marshal.

    Additional fire investigation assistance was provided by the State of Alaska Division of Fire & Life Safety’s Fairbanks-based Deputy Fire Marshal and Fairbanks Police Department.

    Fire investigators have discovered that the home did not appear to contain smoke alarms.

    Working smoke alarms are critically important for the early detection and warning of fires when they start.

    New smoke alarms are sealed with a 10-year battery and can come with functions to assist those that have hearing or visual impairments or difficulties.

    If residents have questions about their smoke alarms, they are encouraged to contact the Fairbanks Fire Department at 907-450-6614 or the American Red Cross Fairbanks Office at 907-456-5937.

    Original 03/24/2023:

    It was reported that a person might be trapped inside.

    Fairbanks Fire Department immediately responded and the first fire engine arrived within four minutes of being dispatched.

    Firefighters found the house fully engulfed in fire, with flames coming from the front and the rear of the structure.

    Firefighters began fighting the fire while one team of firefighters simultaneously provided a search of the structure.

    Unfortunately, one deceased male was found and removed from the house.

    The fire was controlled in approximately 40 minutes.

    The name of the deceased victim is being withheld pending notification to the family.

    The fire and cause of death are still under investigation.

    More from News of the North


    Add a comment

    Log in to the club to add your comment.

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price