Haines, Alaska (KINY) - The Eldred Rock Lighthouse Preservation Association received a five-year term lease from the USCG Civil Engineering Unit on April 1 that is renewable for up to four terms.
The purpose of the lease is for ERLPA to have access to the property to rehabilitate, preserve and maintain the lighthouse so that it can be shared with the public.
The Coast Guard was unable to make the Eldred Rock Lightstation available through the NHLPA 2000 (Nat’l Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act) for various reasons such as land conveyance issues and hazardous environmental conditions.
The pursuit of a lease agreement by ERLPA began in earnest in 2018 with fundraising and negotiations with the CG, the State Historic Preservation Officer and the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
The Coast Guard no longer has the funds to maintain these buildings they no longer have a need for.
Eldred Rock is the oldest original lighthouse in the state and was constructed in 1905 and automated by the Coast Guard in 1973.