Kodiak, Alaska (KINY) - The crew aboard Coast Guard Cutter Douglas Munro, the service’s last operational 378’ high endurance cutter, returned home to Kodiak, Alaska on Saturday following a 49-day deployment in the Bering Sea.
While deployed, the crew of the Douglas Munro, and its embarked MH-65 helicopter aviation detachment from Air Station Kodiak, safeguarded the $13.9 billion Alaskan fishing industry and provided search and rescue coverage in an area spanning 890,000 square miles.
The crew conducted multiple fisheries boardings, ensuring compliance with commercial fishing vessel regulations that ensure crew safety and the sustainability of fish stocks.
Commissioned on 27 September 1971, Douglas Munro was named in honor of Signalman First Class Douglas A. Munro, the U.S. Coast Guard’s only Medal of Honor recipient who was killed during the Guadalcanal Campaign of World War II on that same date in 1942.
The ship is scheduled to be decommissioned later this year.
Douglas Munro’s legacy will continue on with the National Security Class Cutter, Coast Guard Cutter Munro, homeported in Alameda, CA.