Boy and Woman Die in Separate Alaska Hiking Accidents

    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Falling ice crushed a woman and falling rock struck and killed a 5-year-old boy in separate Independence Day hiking accidents in Alaska.

    Brittany Boegel, 32, of Mound, Minnesota, died on a hike in an ice field near Byron Glacier about 45 miles (72 kilometers) south of Anchorage.

    Byron Glacier is within Chugach National Forest. The glacier is part of Portage Valley, a 14-mile (22.5-kilometer) isthmus that connects the Kenai Peninsula to mainland Alaska. The valley attracts thousands of visitors each year and offers spectacular views of snowcapped mountains and Turnagain Arm, the finger of ocean at the top of Cook Inlet.

    Chugach National Forest spokeswoman Alicia King said she did not know how Boegel reached the ice field but confirmed that Byron Glacier is accessible by a short walking trail. There is no prohibition on walking on the glacier but the Forest Service urges hikers to consider their safety.

    "We don't recommend people really going past that particular area," King said of the trail.

    Boegel, a man and a 6-year-old boy approached a hollowed-out, compressed snow mass that resembled a snow cave, Alaska State Troopers said.

    They walked under the mass of ice and show and the ceiling fell. The man and boy suffered what troopers said were minor injuries.

    The ice buried Boegel. Family members and others pulled her out and attempted CPR. Emergency responders carried in medical supplies including an automated external defibrillator. She died at the scene.

    A 5-year-old Valdez, Alaska, boy died Wednesday morning when he was struck by a falling rock near Worthington Glacier about 28 miles (45 kilometers) northeast of Valdez.

    The glacier is within Thompson Pass, a 2,800-foot (855-meter) mountain pass. The trans-Alaska pipeline and the Richardson Highway are built through the pass.

    The glacier is a short walk from a state recreation site off the highway. Hikers can walk along both sides of the ice.

    The boy was with family and friends, Alaska State Troopers said. A boulder the size of a bowling ball rolled off a ledge and struck the boy in the head.

    Allie Ferko, spokeswoman for the Valdez Police and Fire Department, said troopers asked for assistance and the departments sent ambulances and its backcountry search and rescue responders in response to a report of the boy unconscious but breathing.

    A private helicopter flew the boy to Valdez Providence Hospital, where he died.

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price