Two moose dead by poison

    Anchorage, Alaska (KINY) Eating from a chokecherry tree has caused the death of two moose calves in Anchorage.

    The Alaska Fish and Game reports the chokecherry trees are poisonous to moose and cause cyanide poisoning.  They report that about 12 moose die this way each year in the Anchorage area.  The trees are commonly found at nurseries and in yards across Anchorage.

    The two carcasses were later buried at the landfill.

    The Anchorage Assembly this year banned the European bird cherry or Mayday trees because they too are poisonous to moose.

     

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price