Fire department extinguishes downtown apartment fire

    Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - Capital City Fire Rescue responded to the downtown flats at 350 Irwin Street, the Highland Terrace Condos, for a fire on Friday just before 2 p.m.

    According to Fire Marshal Dan Jager, fire personnel arrived on scene and discovered smoke from an apartment, forced entry to find combustible debris on top of an electric stove. The occupant was not home at the time. A dog and a cat were rescued without any harm.

    The fire was contained to the stove top in the kitchen.

    The cause of the fire was unintentional. Damage was estimated at approximately $1,000 and the occupant had renters insurance.

    CCFR wants to remind citizens to have working smoke alarms.

    "For this incident, it was an activated smoke alarm that alerted a neighbor to the fire," Jager said. "They called 911 to report it. Had there not been a working smoke alarm, it is very likely this fire would have been much larger and caused more damage and endangered more occupants."

     

    More from News of the North

    Current Conditions

    Crude Oil Price